Engineering Technology Certificate
Green Design & Engineering
No new students may elect the Green Design & Engineering certificate for the 2018–2019 academic year. Currently enrolled students are encouraged to contact their academic advisor to plan how to complete their certificate.
This certificate prepares students to successfully incorporate sustainability concepts into the design, manufacture, and support of electro-mechanical devices used in industry and construction. This certificate applies equally well for those students whom are already in the workforce and are looking to augment their skills as well as new students looking to enter into the dynamic green engineering technology work field.
The certificates being offered within the engineering and advanced manufacturing field of studies are designed from a two layer perspective to ensure that a student’s skills are aligned with industry and academia. This particular certificate is a second tier certificate that requires that the student already possess the level one Engineering Technology Certificate (or be able to demonstrate equivalent competences). Therefore students earning this certificate will emerge with the confidence, knowledge, and experiential skills to convert a customer’s requirements into robust and environmentally sound deliverables, in the shortest time possible, with maximum waste elimination throughout the value chain.
Note: This certificate has advanced mathematics requirements.
Green design engineering technologists typically work in the following economy sectors:
- Manufacturing – This sector covers activities related to industrial manufacturing of technology as well as energy efficient manufacturing processes.
- Research, Design, and Consulting Services – This sector encompasses "indirect jobs" which includes activities such as energy consulting or research and other related business services.
This occupational profile is provided by O*NET.
Completion of a program is based on full time enrollment. Many of our students attend part time and may not complete within the one year timeline.
Upon completion of the Green Design & Engineering Certificate students are able to:
- Develop a concept from an idea through to a finished product all the while integrating sustainable and renewable energy standards, methods, and materials into the project. Fully analyze and document the design using Computer Aided Design software.
- Review project instructions and blueprints to ascertain test specifications, procedures, and objectives, and test nature of technical problems such as redesign. Analyze test results in relation to design or rated specifications and test objectives, and modify or adjust designs to meet specifications.
- Discuss changes in design, method of manufacture and assembly, and drafting techniques and procedures with staff and coordinate corrections.
- Set up and conduct tests of complete units and components under operational conditions to investigate proposals for improving equipment performance.
- Demonstrate knowledge of industry standard tools for effective practices including software, code implementation, and interpretation.