The certificate is designed to provide students an introduction to the growing field of homeland security. It is designed for people working in the areas of public safety, security management and law enforcement. Criminal justice students interested in enhancing their future career prospects may also benefit from this program by broadening their studies to encompass security within private industry.
Upon successful completion of the Homeland Security Certificate, students are able to:
- Identify effective interpersonal communication, critical thinking, and decision-making skills.
- Describe ethical principles in decision-making situations.
- Demonstrate knowledge of diverse areas, cultures and experiences and the ability to examine their own attitudes and assumptions in order to engage others with civility and empathy.
- Recognize how to access and disseminate information through multiple agencies in order to forecast the risks, types and orders of magnitude of terrorist threats most likely to confront the nation/state.
- Describe the interdisciplinary nature of homeland security functions and be able to assess and integrate various functional areas.